Monday, March 7, 2011

Start of a new week

Hello, it is Monday night.  I thought I should catch you up on the exciting lives of the Doss family.  Well, after all our running on Saturday, we had to rest on Sunday.  We didn't go to church.  Steve was wiped out and I was really tired too.  Steve slept most of the day.  I also took a nap.  I helped Elizabeth with her new dress.  We did a mock bodice and then cut out the real thing.  We got her a new sewing machine for her birthday.  It is a Brother Project Runway Model.  It has everything she will need and more.  It has about 50 decorative stitches.  It is a great starter machine.  Steve did wake up and fix brats and hotdogs for us on the grill.  As usual, he did a great job.  After dinner, we called it an early night and hit the hay.

Today was your typical Monday for me.  5 hours of language arts.  WEEEEEOOOOO!  Steve rested today and then ran some errands with Elizabeth.  She is trying to straighten out her disability from the VA and the Army.  You know how they can give you the run around.  Hopefully, she has the answers now and can get it taken care of.  After the errands, Elizabeth came back to work on her dress.  I was really proud of what she accomplished.  I offered to help her this evening, but she said she was "sewn out".  I can see how that could happen.  What I take for granted and do without thinking, a novice must really concentrate and do slowly.  Beginning to sew can be a frustrating time.  Our friend was making fun of us and says Steve is running a sweat shop with the two sewers.  HA

Steve and Elizabeth made dinner for us since I went to the Veterans Home to visit after school.  They made meatloaf and baked pots.  Yummy yummy.  It was delicious!  It sure helps me out when they pitch in and help me.  I am so grateful for them.  It makes it so nice when I don't have to fix dinner when I come home late.  Our dessert was no bake cookies that Steve made today.  They are his favorite.  He always does an excellent job.  He follows the directions to the T.  I think sometimes the directions are just suggestions and I can improvise.

I think Steve will rest again tomorrow.  Elizabeth is coming up to school at 3:15 and is going to sew with the "Home Ec" club.  They are making pillows for charity.  It should be fun.  It is a tube pillow where you have a pillow, cuff, and ruffle and you only have to sew three seams.  It is a classic project for beginners.  It is a good thing when kids make and do things for charity.  It teaches them that there are things bigger than they are and that no matter what, you can always help someone else.  Sometimes it is material things they need, and sometimes it is just your time.  I love when the clubs do community service projects at the middle school.  We are always trying to make great citizens out of our students.  I'll let you know how the "sew in" goes.

We are supposed to get some bad weather tomorrow.  In fact, the state called of the monthly statewide tornado drill because of the expected weather.  I sure hope it is not bad.  I do love a good storm but not a bad storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment