Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday Night Fever

This is an appropriate title for today's post.  It actually fits in two ways.  First, I think we have Spring Fever.  It was so pretty today.  We can't wait for the days to be perfect so we can actually spend some time outside.  Steve bought a new blow-up mattress the other day.  Now he will be able to sleep in the tent when we go camping.  I can't wait.  I do not think we will spend much time in the boat, but I love to camp.  I love to cook in Dutch ovens over open fires.  I love to cook pizza, lasagna, cobblers, and anything else I can think of.  We eat like kings and queens when we camp.  When we used to go to Colorado to camp.  We would have great meals.  No hotdogs and bologna sandwiches for us.  We are not hot weather campers so our window of ideal camping is about the beginning of April to the middle of June.  We go to Stockton Lake and love it.

The second reason this title fits is Steve is not feeling well.  He is warm, but he doesn't feel like he has a fever.  I think he is a little worn out.  He is still a little tired from going fishing with Elizabeth on Friday.  They went to a pond that we used to hunt for ducks.  I could tell you where it was exactly, but then I would have to kill you.  :)  We call the pond Longshanks.  It is ideal for duck hunting and fishing.  They caught 3 fish total.  Elizabeth caught one medium sized bass, and Steve caught two little bass.  They had a good time.  I hope they go more often.  The fresh air and sunshine is a good medicine for him.  Today they went to Walmart and got a new tackle box.  Apparently the old one got hot and there were melty worms stuck in all the little compartments.  I'm not much of a tackle box person.  I have just used them to organize my sewing supplies.  I don't fish either.  I am a lawn chair/book angler.  I like to go just to be outside.

I went to Springfield today.  Steve and Elizabeth followed me to Republic, and we ate lunch at Ruby Tuesdays.  They have the best salad bar and rye croutons.   After lunch, I went on several errands.  I went to the FM Fabric Store, the 1$ Jewelry Store, Hancock Fabric, and then got my hair cut.  Oh my.  She really gave me a new look.  I love it.  You would not believe the huge pile of gray hair that I left on their floor.  I'm not sure if I was more shocked at the size of the pile, or the fact that it was so gray.  I am probably going to have some color done in the next couple of weeks.  I can't decide if it is what I want or not.  To be quite honest with you, I have worked hard for all this gray.  It is kind of a badge of survival for me.  We shall see.  At FM I got some green material for a new long sleeve shirt and a pink and white polka dot for a short sleeve shirt.  At Hancock, they had their McCalls and Simplicity patterns on sale.  I bought five.  I added up the price without them being on sale and it was $84 dollars. On sale, I paid less than $10.  Now please explain to me how they can charge 17 or so dollars for a pattern but then run it for 99cents or 1.50.  They need to just keep them affordable.  They price themselves out of the sewers market.  Face it, if you buy a pattern for 17 dollars and then purchase the material, you could have purchased a ready made for the same amount or a little more.  I don't think people can sew now a days with the thought that they are really saving themselves money.

Elizabeth's dress is coming along.  We should have it finished later this week.  She did not pick an easy pattern to start with.  It has gathering, zippers, and lining. She is doing a great job.  I really hope she likes to sew and sticks with it.  It is a good hobby.  I think she is excited about the possibility of using her new skills to do some pillows and home decor things.

This week is the beginning of the NCAA Tournament.  I am soooooo excited.  I love March Madness.  I love filling out the brackets and watching the games.  Steve and I always have a competition with our brackets.  I am very proud to tell you that I always dominate the competition.  This year, he is out for blood, and says he will resort to any devious method it takes to win.  We will be filling out our brackets on Monday since tomorrow is Selection Sunday.  I'll keep you posted about my good choices and his poor choices.  HA  HA  HA.

No comments:

Post a Comment