Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fresh Squeezed Lemonade

Yesterday, Steve declared that he was craving some good lemonade-not the kind from a packet.  So off to the computer I went.  Southern Living had a recipe.  I just finished making it.

The recipe was:   1 1/2 c. sugar
                           1 1/2 c. lemon juice
                           5 c water
                          1 t. lemon rind
                          1/2 c. boiling water
Squeeze lemons for the juice.  The recipe said it would take 8, but I needed 12 to get enough juice.  Boil water and add sugar to dissolve.  Pour all in pitcher, stir, and serve over ice.

Steve and Elizabeth thought it was a hit.  I don't care for the pulp...you know a texture thing.  I do love the taste.  It will be a favorite at our house this summer.

Steve's feet are really bothering him today.  In fact, his right foot is really swollen and tender to the touch.  We think it is because of the weather moving into our area.  They are predicting storms tonight.  Hopefully, after the front passes, his feet will hurt less.

We went to church this morning.  After church, we went to Grandma's to celebrate Kaleb's birthday.  She made roast, potatoes, noodles, green beans, salad, homemade bread, homemade strawberry jam, salad, pickles and yummy cake with homemade whipping cream.  Grandma really knows how to throw a party.  Kaleb is 22.  He has a job at John Deere for the summer.   He has another interview for a job in Chicago tomorrow.  It is a phone interview, and he will go to Chicago to interview if he passes this one.  He was saying today that he is really ready to be out of school.  Kyle when on a "college day" Friday with some of his friends.  He went to MSSU in Joplin.  That is where he will be going to school this fall.  He was telling us about all the new things they have added since Steve and Mike attended back in the 70s.  I am excited for both of the boys and their new adventures.  Oh to be young again.  Well, let me qualify that...to be young again and know what I know now.

After lunch, we had a pretty lazy day.  We came home.  Steve rested, and I was off to Summer Fresh to get the groceries of this week.  I am trying three new recipes this week.  I am using the Crock Pot two days:  Lemon Garlic Chicken and Turkey Breast with Mushroom Gravy.  The third recipe is Fiesta Quiche.  I'll let you know how they work out.  Steve is always such a good sport when I get into this kind of cooking mood.  I do make him tell me if he like it or not.  I tell him to tell me if it is a make again meal or not.  If he says he did not like it, I put a big black X over the recipe in the book so I don't make it again.  Hopefully, no Xs this week.  I am trying to cut down on the amount of red meat we eat.  It is really difficult because we are "beef" people.  Since last Wed, we have not had any.  Steven has not said anything about it yet, so I will keep it up until he makes a comment.

I cut out a jacket to sew this afternoon.  I am hoping to get it started later this evening if I can get my behind off the couch.  We are watching the girl's Final Four, and so far the Stanford and Texas A & M game has been great.  The only thing I notice is theses girls sure spend a lot of time on the floor.  Holy Cow, every time you look, someone is down.   After this game, there is another:  Notre Dame and UConn.

The girls have made it back from Arkansas.  They had a good time seeing Grandma Sylvia.

Koleen made it back to Columbia and is ready to start classes again.  She will be home again Easter weekend.

My mother has not heard any news about her colon exam appointment.  I think at the Lake, they are a little slow at things like that.  I am guessing since there is no rush, they must not be concerned.  I'm not worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment