Today was chemo 7. We had an 8:40 lab and a 9:40 appointment with Dr. Hoos. Steve's labs went well, and we had a good appointment with Dr. Hoos. The plan is after this treatment, wait a few weeks and then have a new set of scans. They are scheduling him for a PET and CT scan. I don't know the dates yet. After his scans, we will meet with Dr. Hoos and decide what the next step of action will be. We were happy after our appointment because Dr. Hoos sounded very confident that things were still going well. After a short wait, we went to the Infusion Lab to start his treatment. All the premeds went well. He had his Altima and then his Cistplatin. (I think that is how you spell them. I did sound spelling...the teacher in me. I will use the sound spelling all through this post. Sorry.) After about 45 minutes into his Cistplatin, all hell broke loose.
He looked at me and showed me his hands. They were beet red. I have never seen anyone's palms that red. About 5 seconds after that he started complaining that his eyebrows were itching. I told the nurse and she came over. By this time, his face was blotchy and he had a rash on his arms, legs and belly. They called other nurses and the action started. They gave him two benadryl shots through his port line. He was itching worse. They gave him some steroids that begin with a Dex in his port line too. Now the "Head Head" nurse was by his side. The benadryl and steroids caused his body to opposite react. He was tired but his heart was racing. His blood pressure went up too. The main nurse asked him if he was having trouble breathing and he said he had a tightness in his chest. Out came the Eppi pen. Bam, right in his thigh it went. Thank goodness, the medicines started working. The itching stopped and he started feeling better about 30 minutes after the first symptoms. They stopped the chemo as soon as the reaction started. They did not restart it afterwards. We stayed in the Infusion Lab about two hours longer while they monitored him and pushed liquids in his IV. When we left, he was feeling much better, but not quite normal.
We were shocked about the reaction this late in his treatment. They said that the platin drugs were notorious for reactions in the 7,8,9 treatments. It was sure scary for about 30 minutes. When the action started, I had to leave his side and watch from across the room. It sure is hard to watch while others work on someone you love. We have never experienced anything like this. It reminded me of how out of control I felt when he first had his lung collapse and they were working on him. We are just lucky that they recognized what was happening to him and took such fast action. Once again, the angels were with us.
I had parent teacher conferences when I got home. I went late and only had about an hour left when I arrived. I saw about 6 sets of parents in that time. I have to go back in the morning from 9-12. I will take him to his mamma's for that time. I do not like to leave him alone right after any treatment but especially not after today. We are not sure how he will be feeling this time since he didn't have the whole treatment. After a day like today, a guy needs his mamma to take care of him. We are watching the Oregon/ UCLA game. He was going strong until about 10 minutes ago. He got really tired...off went the lights and off came the glasses. I predict he will be sleeping before the first quarter is finished. Of all the times, I think he needs his rest this time.
I might call it an early night too. The only problem is, I am at a good part in my book, The Jungle. It is by Upton Sinclair. It was written in 1906 and is about the meat packing plants in Chicago at the turn of the century. In fact, President Teddy Roosevelt read an advanced copy and instantly formed the Food and Drug Administration. It was also a book that started the animal activist movement. I only know that I would not last a minute in those circumstances. It also makes me want to give up meat and be a vegetarian. I know it is a fiction story based on facts and is probably life at its worse with several families' problems rolled into one family, but my gosh, what else can happen to these poor souls? I would not suggest this book if you have a weak stomach and sensitive heart. It is packed with human heartache and unbelievably sad events. I have to remember that no matter how bad things seem, they could be worse. I could live in an unheated shanty, work for 25 cents a day, and have to shovel cow guts for a living.
MY LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment