Mercy Rule:
On Thursday night it was the last football game of the regular high school season. I completely forgot that it was on Thursday night instead of Friday and almost missed it. Luckily, Mike called Steve and reminded us. The game was at East Newton, which is about at 30 minute SW of Monett. The evening was wonderful except it was really chilly. Mike was so bundled up you would not recognize him. I don't think he could have put on another layer. The game went well. We beat them 42-7. Fourth quarter, the mercy rule kicked in. That means since we were so far ahead, the clock does not stop running unless they score. It was a great celebration after the game. The seniors were a mixture of happy and sad. They were happy because they won, but they were sad because they would not play together as a team again. Cubs will not play any post season games. I have pictures to post and will do that later this week. I has a wonderful season as a Cub fan. I'm lucky that I could mooch rides to the away games off Mike and Lorna I loved to watch Kyle play. As I stated in a way earlier blog, " I am so proud to be the aunt of Number 56!!!!" I am sad that the season is over. I would love it if Kyle got to play at the collegiate level. That would be GREAT!
Trick or Treat:
On Friday, we got to babysit Aubree. Amelia and Jeff went to a concert in Springfield. Don't ask who they saw. He is some country guy and I DO NOT listen to country music. He could be the number one star and I would not know.
I took Aubree trick or treating at the Veterans Home. They loved her, and she loved it. She can really work that innocent smile and sweet voice when she wants. She would walk up to them (they were sitting outside their rooms with the candy waiting for the trick or treaters), flash a great big smile and in the sweetest voice say, " Trick or Treat, please". After they gave her a handful, yes I said handful of candy, she would smile again at them and say "Thank you". She knows a few of the guys and in fact got in an argument with one of them. He made a comment about she should be a Jayhawk fan and she informed him, "Oma and I love the Tigers." He thought this was so funny. He and I talk KU and MU all the time. He was on the football team in the early 40s. He tells me stories of their victories and losses all the time. After we hit the Neighborhood B, we went to visit my friend, Betty. Aubree brought a book to read to Betty. Betty loved it and Aubree loves Betty. All in all Aubree made out like a bandit. She was Tinker Bell. She was a doll. I didn't get any pictures thinking that I would get some tonight, but she is not going tonight. I'll ask Amelia for one to post later.
Still in Shock:
This title does not need any explanation. Nebraska creamed the Tigers. It was on national television Saturday afternoon. We went to a friend's to watch with a house full of MU Alum and fans. It is so nice to watch the game with other fans. I love to hear the "coaching" that goes on between them. We tried our hardest to send winning strategies through the TV to Gary P., but I guess our brains are not tuned into the same frequency as our head coach. I only wish we could forget about the first quarter of play. If we erase that, it would be an ok game. We ate chili and had a few drinks. I have not given up on my Tigers. There are still games left in the season. I believe that if you are a true fan, you must stick by your team no matter what: W or L. I think that once you are a Tiger, you will always be a fan. I hope that I can cheer the Tigers on for many many more years. In our house we have three generations of fans: Me, Koleen and Aubree. We are doing our best to keep the Tiger Pride alive in our house. Steve had vodka tonic (I was so proud of him. He has not drank since he got sick. He didn't have a strong one, but the idea of one at all is wonderful) and I stuck with beer. After the game, we just came home and crashed. Being a fan can really wear you out.
I have to add one quick note here. You know how they say there is no such thing as a dumb question? Well, I beg to differ. Some of those questions that the sideline reporters ask the coach at halftime or after the game are really DUMB. I can't believe they get paid to ask dumb questions. I'll bet you I know exactly what kind of kids those reporters were when they were in middle school. They were the ones the teachers did their best to ignore their raised hand and when they were called on, it took all the teachers ' professionalism to not roll their eyes at the question. Those of you that teach know the exact students I am talking about. They can be identified as early as kindergarden.
Excellent Day:
We got up and went to church this morning. It is so pretty here. It is a wonderful fall day. It is about 72 degrees with a breeze. Church was good. The sermon was short (Just the way I like it. I don't need to have the main point repeated 15 times in 25 minutes for me to remember it.) We have new lights over the choir loft to the left of the alter. They were donated by a family. They sure are pretty. We had communion (the long kind) and then we left. It is Reformation Sunday. I was looking forward to singing, "Onward Christian Soldiers" but that was the leaving church hymn. I missed it. I can remember singing that as a kid in school and at church. It is a great song when it is played on the big pipe organ. It reminds me of a Halloween tune because it sounds "monstery". Martian Luther can sure write a pick me up tune :). We went out for lunch. Steve wanted Long John Silvers. Aubree and Amelia met us for lunch. After lunch, we game home to rest. We had an excellent nap. Now we are just relaxing and trying to decide what to do with the rest of the day. We got a phone call from some of our friends in New Zealand. Zydee called to talk to Steve. It really made his day. We really miss having them in the states. We had some great times at the lake and just hanging out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment