Sometimes it is easy to forget how very blessed we are. All of our family is safe.
As most of the world know, Joplin was basically destroyed last night by a tornado that was 3/4 of a mile wide and on the ground for 6 miles. While the tornado was in Joplin and headed east, we were outside listening to the thunder. I have never never never heard thunder roll like it did last night. It was totally unreal. We discussed if that is what war sounded like. We were outside at least 30 minutes and there was not a second that there was not thunder. The sirens went of in Mt. Vernon. We went inside when it started to rain. Luckily, we had no damage from the high winds. Our neighbors found some debris in their yard from the hospital in Joplin.
We have been watching KY3 and the national news with Brian Williams tonight to find out about the damage in Joplin. My heart goes out to those people. Some of the scenes they showed bring tears to my eyes. I simply can't put words to the emotions I feel just seeing it on TV. I can't imagine seeing it in person. We are supposed to get more storms tonight and some major storms tomorrow night. Those poor people. Disasters like this make you stop and think how very blessed you are to have your home and family safe.
We have had massive amounts of rain with this storm system. I think Steve said well over 3 inches so far. He has been faithful in checking and dumping his rain gauge. He and Samurai really hate storms. Both of them pace and don't settle down until it is over. :)
Tomorrow is the last full day of school for the 2010-11 year. I am sooooooooo excited. We have our DARE assembly and 6th grade award assembly too. After that we will clean out our lockers and do some end of the year activities. We get out at 11:15 on Wednesday. I will not be able to check out until Thursday. I have some end of the year chores to complete before I can be signed out. On Thursday, I am hoping to sleep in but we all know how that goes.
Monday, May 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment