Thursday, January 13, 2011

LAZY day

We were out again today.  Mr. C said several bus routes were still slick and the wind chill was low.  I must confess, I had a very lazy day.  In all honesty, we had a very lazy day.  We didn't do much of anything.  We did unclog the sweeper and clean the filters in the hot tub.  That's it.  Really.

I am reading book called Matterhorn.  It is about a group of Marines in the Vietnam war.  It is a really good book and if you like that kind of reading, I highly recommend it.  It it is one of those books based on a real group of men.  I really like the "characters" and I am very sad if one of them does not make it.  This book has really opened my eyes to the racial tension in the service at this time.  I guess I never really thought the problems going on back home would be taken to the battlefields.  I am pretty naive when it comes to things like this. That is why I am reading about it. You see, pretty soon these vets will be coming to the Veterans Home and it is sometimes easier to understand them if you "understand" where they came from.  I know I will never really understand the hardships and terrible things they saw, but I feel if I am aware of them, I will be more aware of things when I visit with them at the home.  I know sometimes when I am visiting with my WWII and Korean vets, it helps if I know of the places they visited or the battles they were in.  I never bring it up but a lot of they guys just start telling me about their service time.  It generally starts out with them telling me the places they visited and then it goes into what their responsibilities were and then some battles they were in.  Most of the time, they like to brag on the things their buddies did during the wars.  There is a sense of brotherhood between these guys that is very strong.  I sure do love the time I spend at the Veterans Home.  I have made some very good friends and an very fortunate that they have touched my life and heart.  I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to meet and know these heroes.

I am thinking that we will have school tomorrow.  I really hope not because then I could finish my book.  :)  I know we have to make these days up, but snow days are gifts from God and should aways be appreciated and enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment