Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ultimate Build-off

Tonight is the final show in the Ultimate Build-off on American Chopper.  I can't say we have been totally watching the series of this.  We are catching-up tonight before the final unveiling.  As you know, we are real Jr. fans.  We can't stand Sr. and Jessie James.  I am curious to see the three bikes completed.   America gets to vote and decide which team wins.  Not sure we will vote.  It all depends if it is an online, texting, or calling vote.

Steve had a good day today.  He thinks the medicine is helping his ear.  He did not take his pills as early tonight as he did last night.  You know, they made him so tired.  He fell asleep in the chair.  I had to wake him up to come to bed.  When I did, I was so tired and ready to sleep.  Not him.  He was wide awake and ready to watch the new American Pickers and Pawn Star.  Not me, I was very tired that I just zonked out.  He starts his steroid for chemo tomorrow.  He always hates the way the steroid makes him feel.  This afternoon, he called me and asked if I wanted grilled steaks for supper.  Well, yeah I said.  He picked up rib-eyes from Alps.  He cooked them outside, and they were delicious.  He also had baked potatoes, green bean casserole, and apple crumb pie.  Like I have told you before, he is a master chef.  I am lucky that he takes such good care of me.  

Elizabeth and Hunter  (her dog) came for a visit and supper.  Samurai loves when Hunter comes.  They play like crazy men.  Samurai is twice as big as Hunter, and he loves to pin Hunter down.  Hunter goes for the throat and hangs on.  Samurai swings him around and when he tires of Hunter, he just swats him down.  When Hunter leaves, Samurai is wiped out.  

I went to the gym today.  It was snowing when I went.  The roads were covered, but they were not slick. Springfield roads were really slick.  We did have school.  By the time school was over, all the snow on the roads was gone.  They do not have anymore in the forecast.  Koleen said it was really slick in Columbia.  I believe she said she did some spin arounds in a parking lot because it was so slick.  She and her car are fine.  

We had a faculty meeting this morning.  It was really interesting because our nurse was talking about the new drug problems that are in schools.  The kids are soaking Gummi Bears in vodka.  We are supposed to watch for puffy Gummies.  Another thing is the energy drinks.  Some of them contain alcohol.   Our nurse said that our school needed to adopt a policy about energy drinks.  Some apparently can really string a kid out.  It makes the all jumpy and jittery.  She also mentioned that heroine is making a come back.  This I find very scary.  I'm not sure we have these issues in 6th grade or at least I am unaware of them.  I try to keep close tabs on the kids, but they are pretty sneaky.  Times have changed because I would never have thought about smuggling liquor into school.  Now, I think my biology teacher had a hidden stash.  He was always going to his cabinet and adding something to his drink.  It was in a Pepto bottle, but it was not pink.  He always seemed a little crazy, but at the time we thought that was just him.  It wasn't until much later that some of us thought he might be adding something special.  These were the same times that when you went into the teacher lounge, it was so smokey that you couldn't see the faces of the teachers in the room.  Also the teachers could smoke in the courtyard on their breaks.  You didn't think anything about it.  We never thought anything about seeing our teachers having a drink at a restaurant or at a party.  I did grow up in Kansas City so some of the ideas there are more open.  It is not a small town and everyone did not know everyone else. All the kids went to the nearby Briarcliff Elementary School for K-6.  It was about a mile and a half from our house.  I did not go there.  I went to the Lutheran school.  My brother did go to the public elementary starting in 4th grade. For 7-8 we were bussed to Northgate Jr. High. There other elmentary schools were blended together.  9-12 we went to North Kansas City High School where two jr. highs were blended.  My graduating class had 395, and it was one of the smallest in years. After that, who knows.  There were hundreds of churches, so everyone had different church families.  Our parents all worked at different places too.  The stay home moms did meet for coffee at someone's house every once in a while.  Moving to Monett in 1986 was a real shock for me.  Now I am used to living in a small town.  The only bad thing, some might think, is I still have a big city attitude on several things.  

I went to visit Betty after school.  We looked online for some crochet patterns.  We found several.  She wants to make some scarves and hats.  Her daughter-in-law made me a black and gold hat to wear when it is cold.  I love it.  Betty has been crocheting some scrubbies out of netting.  She loves doing that.  It is a good activity for her to do while she is watching television.  She was in a good mood.  She said the politics on television are upsetting her.  I told her she shouldn't watch it if it upset her.  She does love her politics.  She is very liberal and the conservative politicians really bother her.  She loves to argue politics.  This is good because she does not agree with a majority of the men at the home.  They have learned not to bring up elections and policies.  I love to talk politics with her.  Sometimes I just disagree with her to get her to argue with me.  I know I am bad.  She likes the thrill of the argument.  Who doesn't?  I know I do.   


No comments:

Post a Comment