Friday, December 9, 2011

Glad it is over

What a day!  I can't remember the last time a day was as bad as this one for me.  It was nothing specific, just everything in general.  Compound sentences and prepositional phases as adjectives or adverbs got the best of me today.  I can't believe how difficult my 6th graders are making these concepts.  Yes, I'll give you that prepositional phrases can sometimes be tricky but not compound sentences.  We have been working on compound subjects, compound verbs and compound sentences all week.  We have talked about the three ways to make a compound sentence.
1.  Complete thought, FANBOYS complete thought
If you are unsure of what a FANBOYS is:  for, and, nor, but, or,  yet, so (all the coordinating conjunctions that you can use to make a compound sentence.
2.  Complete thought; complete thought.
3.  Complet thought; conjunctive adjective, complete thought.
conjunctive adjectives:  nevertheless, finally, then, also, besides....
I know people do not write as much with ; as they used to, but they still need to know the rules so they have a choice.  It is not that hard; you should try.
Don't even get me started about prepositional phrases.  Let's face it, after high school or college, no one will ever as about prepositional phrases ag ain.  I don't remember even talking about them in college.  The phrases are easy enough to identify, and it is even easy to find the object.  The adjective and adverb phrases are killers.  I won't even try to explain them because most of you are out of high school and college, and they are not important in real life.

Steve had a poor day.  He is really fatigued.  I believe he rested all day, which is exactly what he needed. He did get up for dinner.  Justin, Elizabeth, and Hunter came for a visit.  They brought dinner, which was nice.  They didn't stay long because I had a birthday party to go to, Steve was tired, and Justin's mom was having a Tupperware party.  I think sometimes the stress of waiting for the test results plays a big part in his fatigue.  I know I feel totally wasted the day after because I have been so tense waiting to hear what Dr. Hoos has to say.  I can't tell you how much of a relief a good report is.  It keeps us high for 63 more days.  I know for Steve, this routine of chemo every 21 days can get very tiring.  It seems like just when he starts feeling well, we zap him again.  I'm not sure he ever really feel good...some days are just not as bad as others.  I am so proud of him because I know how hard it has been.  He has been a good patient and has kept a positive attitude throughout the whole ordeal.  I tell him all the time, but I don't think he really knows what a brave man he is.  I must comment about the other people that we see at the Infusion Center.  They are all such brave souls.  Some of them have terrible cancers and go through miserable treatments.  I am inspired by these people.  As a whole, most are very pleasant and even jokey.  It takes a special person to be that way when they know what is happening inside their bodies and how they will feel after the treatment.  I also have to mention some of the people that are there with the cancer patients.  They are a breed of their own.  You should see the love they have in their eyes for the sick ones.  They are so caring and gentle as they help them get out of the chairs, walk to the appointment rooms, push the wheelchairs, or get into a car.  So many of their eyes are filled to the rim with hope for their loved ones.  While I am talking about special people, I have to mention the doctors and nurses that take care of us.  They are wonderful people.  They are all so kind and caring.  I can't imagine how they always manage to smile and be so friendly.  I am sure it is heartbreaking for them when one of the people they have treated for so long passes.  On the same note, they are the first ones yelling, hugging, and clapping when it is someone's last treatment.  I think they might just be angels on Earth.  They all need to be remembered in our prayers.  I also need to compliment you, reader.  It takes a special person to plow through my ramblings.  You are very brave when you open PeaGoulash because you have no idea what you will be subjected to in my posts.  You are remembered in my prayers, too.  I pray that God blesses you and gives you a forgiving heart for when my rants get out of hand.  Steve and I are truly blessed will all the special people in our lives.

Don't know what the plans are for this weekend.  It will not be much, maybe a trip to Walmart, some sewing, a nap or two, and television.

I need to send a special note to all the college readers:  GOOD LUCK on finals!  May you have swift pencils and sharp minds!!!!!  I have faith in each and everyone of you.  Your institution of higher learning is lucky to have you as one of their students.  You make all the people that love you very proud!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment